Monday, September 7, 2009

parties and peaches

Well. I have, sadly, neglected this blog for awhile. I do have a good excuse. My husband and I are planning a party - the kind of party that requires place cards and flowers and guest lists. And of course, really good food. The food was actually one of the inspirations for the whole thing, and we are looking forward to eating it with gusto. But all this planning leaves little time for anything else, besides drinking wine to calm our semi-frayed nerves. SO, over this Labor Day weekend, I decided to put in some time in my neglected kitchen. And since I felt like I had turned my back on it for several weeks (do pots and pans get lonely down there in the bottom cupboard?), I decided to spend some serious time canning peaches. I bought peaches at the farmers market, carefully selecting those that were not bruised, and dragged my heavy bags home. You may can peaches several ways; the following is a rendition of a recipe in the 'Blue Book of Preserving', which is my personal canning bible. Sterilize the jars and lids, inspect them for cracks, and ensure that your counter top and tools are all clean.
  • 1-2 pounds of peaches, peeled and halved per pint (to quickly peel peaches, boil them for about a minute. The skin will then come right off) or 2-3 pounds per quart
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 2.5 cups water
Make the syrup by combining the last three ingredients. Bring to a boil then reduce heat. Stir occasionally so the mixture doesn't scorch. Pack the peaches cavity side down in the sterilized jars and leave 1/2 inch head space. Ladle enough hot syrup into the can to cover the peaches (about 1/2 cup per pint). Remove air bubbles, wipe the top of the jars and add the lids. Process for 25-30 minutes in boiling water.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this megan. What beautiful food shots. Hope you are well. All the best.

Megan said...

Thanks Amanda!