Tuesday, April 14, 2009

eating tradition

I love trying new recipes. But somehow, whenever a holiday rolls around, I crave the food that we made when I was growing up. Traditions are powerful, especially when it comes to food. It's one of the connections to childhood; the familiar things from the past create comfort in the present. Usually around the Easter season, I break out this salad, and serve it as a side dish throughout the spring and summer.

Pea Salad
4-6 cups greens, rinsed and chopped (I used a mix of red leaf lettuce and romaine)
1 small onion, chopped, or a bunch of scallions
2 cups cooked peas
6 tablespoons mayonnaise
4 ounces cheese, cut into small blocks
2 teaspoons sugar
Place half the greens, onions, peas and cheese in a large bowl. Sprinkle with sugar and 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise. Repeat the layer, then cover and chill for two hours. Toss before serving.

1 comment:

speedy said...

I made this for Easter too. how shocking! lol. delicious and never gets old.