Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Sour Cream Poppyseed Bread

I have a banana graveyard in my freezer. All the old, too-soft-to-be-eaten bananas go in there, waiting patiently to be used in banana bread. Because I don't like to have my freezer taken over by bananas, I make bread out of them fairly frequently. SO, I thought it was time to try a new recipe for "quick" bread (doesn't require yeast or need to rise). This turned out to be a fabulous idea, and I now have a new favorite. The sour cream makes the bread very moist, and by mixing the egg whites separately, it is also very light. It's great with coffee, tea, fruit or vanilla ice cream if you want to dress it up.
  • 1/2 cup butter (I use organic, unsalted)
  • 3/4 cup sugar (I use sugar in the raw)
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 cup all purpose flour, sifted (I use organic flour, and I didn't sift it....if you do sift it, I'm sure that would make it even lighter)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 cup sour cream (I used light)
  • 3 egg whites
  • 1/3 cup poppy seeds
Preheat to 350 degrees.
Grease an 8-inch loaf pan.
Beat the butter and sugar together. Beat in the egg yolks one at a time, and then stir in the vanilla. Combine the flour, salt and baking soda in a separate bowl. Fold them into the butter mixture, alternating with the sour cream. In a small bowl, beat the egg whites until they are fairly stiff, then add to the batter. Stir in the poppy seeds, and pour the batter into the pan. Bake for 45-60 minutes.

I didn't add anything else, but I think this would taste really nice with some lemon or orange flavor as well. The recipe is from the Tassajara Recipe Book.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Try almond extract sometime!